The following guidelines are put into place in order to best serve the students of the Marching Spartans, as well as keep all participants and volunteers as safe as possible. These guidelines are mandatory and we ask you to take the time to read them carefully.
If anyone has any questions about these guidelines or why they are being used, please email Mr. Blanks at: Eric.Blanks@lcps.org
● LCPS is providing specialized masks and bell covers for all wind instruments. These masks and bell covers are used to limit the disbursement of aerosol droplets from playing a wind instrument. The thickness of the masks and bell covers are recommended by research done in the International Performing Arts Aerosol Study.
● Each wind instrument student is provided with one mask and appropriate bell cover. If a student loses either one, they will be responsible for purchase of a replacement and will be unable to participate until the new mask and/or bell cover arrives. Extras were not provided and none will be kept on-hand at the
● Access to storage rooms will be off limits to prevent crossing of paths by students. Students will be responsible for carrying their own equipment to and from rehearsal. Larger instruments, such as low brass and percussion, will be allowed to store their instruments in the school in specified areas designated by the staff and director.
● Students participating in hybrid learning starting in January will be allowed to store their instruments in specified areas as designated by the director.
● Students are expected to come dressed appropriately for rehearsal including proper footwear and clothing for colder temperatures. Students will not be allowed to store shoes/dinkles/clothing items in storage rooms or lockers.
● Percussionists will be assigned their own sticks/mallets as appropriate and are responsible for having their own mask/facial covering to be worn at all times.
● Color Guard will be assigned their own equipment and are responsible for having their own mask/facial covering to be worn at all times.
● Students, staff and adult volunteers are required to fill out a symptom questionnaire prior to rehearsal. If anyone fails to do so they will not be allowed to participate in rehearsal.
● Students, staff and adult volunteers will undergo a temperature check upon arrival to the school. Failure to do so will result in not being allowed to participate in rehearsal.
● Students and staff are required to wear facial coverings at all times, including outside.
● No water or snacks will be provided. Students are responsible for bringing their own water and a snack if they believe it is necessary. Sharing of food or water is strictly prohibited.
● Social distancing is required when there is a water break during outside rehearsal and at that point masks may be removed. Once rehearsal starts again, masks will be expected to be worn.
● Marching band drill will be written to provide proper social distancing guidelines.
● Color guard choreography will be written to provide proper social distancing guidelines.
● Mouthpiece sanitizing spray for brass players will be provided by staff and applied by staff after rehearsal. Students will be expected to wipe off their own mouthpiece after the spray is applied.
● Woodwinds must swab out their instruments after each and every rehearsal, as expected to be done under normal circumstances.
● In the event we have to move inside due to weather, the director reserves the right to cancel rehearsal for all of the band or for some sections on a rotational basis if we are unable to secure proper spacing inside the building. This is to keep everyone as safe as possible.
● In the event we are inside due to weather, we will rehearse in sections when applicable. Masks and bell covers will be expected at all times.
● Wind players will be no less than 10 feet apart per LCPS guidelines.
● Percussionists will be no less than 6-8 feet apart per LCPS guidelines.
● Advertised rehearsal times signify the ending of rehearsal, i.e. if rehearsal goes 4:30 to 6:30 then rehearsal ends at 6:30. There is necessary time after that to properly sanitize instruments/mouthpieces as well as give announcements. There will be a stagger of dismissal that is necessary for everyone’s safety and we appreciate the patience of parents or guardians who are picking up their child.