- helping to organize events such as Band Camp, concerts, banquets, and field trips;
- raising funds through fundraising campaigns scheduled throughout the school year;
- providing parent volunteers, from chaperones to prop building to sewing and cleaning uniforms;
- promoting the program within the Broad Run High School and Ashburn communities;
- managing the funding and budgets for the marching band, winter guard, and indoor drumline programs.
Our BRHSBBA is led by a seven-member board that works directly with the Band Director and staff to ensure that all programs run smoothly. Several of our current BRHSBBA Board members have indicated that they will not be running for re-election and we are searching for nominees.
We are also seeking several non-Board member roles:
- a Buyer to assist the Treasurer with procurement duties;
- several Fundraiser Coordinators to serve as point person on a designated fundraising campaign or event.
We hope that you will consider nominating yourself for a leadership position with the BRHSBBA for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. If you have the time and interest to serve, please follow the link below and complete the nomination form by Tuesday, April 30th, 2019.
Nominees will also be accepted from the floor of the meeting. The success of our organization depends on the willingness of parents to step in and help lead!
Below are the descriptions of duties for each Board position. Additional details may be found in our BRHSBBA Constitution and Bylaws.
BRHSBBA Board Officers
- President: The President coordinates the Association’s activities with the Band Director(s) and serves as chairperson of the Board of Directors, presides over meetings of the Association, and serves as a member ex-officio of all committees. It is the responsibility of the President to ensure that the Association adheres to all federal, state, and local laws, as well as Loudoun County Public School policies, including, but not limited to, Department of Agriculture, IRS, and the State Corporation Commission. The President enforces a strict observance of the constitution and bylaws of the Association and acts as the secondary authorized signatory to all financial accounts.
- Vice-President of Communications: The Vice-President of Communications coordinates all communication, publicity, and outreach activities for the Association, acts as administrator of the BRHSBBA web site, social media sites and technology resources, and performs the duties of the President in the absence of that officer.
- Vice-President of Fundraising: The Vice-President of Fundraising coordinates all fundraising programs or events for the
benefit of the band program(s). Each fundraising program/event will be chaired by a designated coordinator. The Vice-President of Fundraising performs the duties of the Vice-President of Communication in the absence of the Vice-President of Communications or perform the duties of the President in the absence of both the President and the Vice-President of Communications.
- Vice-President of Student Services: The Vice-President of Student Services coordinates all student support services., including Band Camp, LCPS Permission and Medical forms, uniforms, banquets, and spirit wear.
- Vice-President of Volunteers: The Vice-President of Volunteers coordinates chaperones and other volunteers for all activities and events.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer presents the annual budget, as prepared by the Budget Committee, for adoption by majority
vote of the Regular and Associate Members, collects and deposits all funds of the Association, maintains a full and accurate account of expenditures and receipts, arranges for disbursement of funds, documents each disbursement and provide a record of monthly disbursements to the President, presents a financial statement at every regularly scheduled meeting, prepares an annual report at the end of the fiscal year (including an itemization of expenses and profits from each fundraising activity), and prepares for an annual audit of the books by a certified accounting professional unaffiliated with the Association, who is selected and approved by the Board of Directors. Together with the President, the Treasurer ensures that the Association adheres to all federal, state, and local laws, as well as Loudoun County Public School policies, including, but not limited to, Department of Agriculture, IRS, and the State Corporation Commission.
- Secretary: The Secretary monitors the conduct of meetings to ensure compliance with appropriate parliamentary procedures and keeps records and minutes of all Executive Board and Association meetings, provides the minutes of Association meetings to the membership through a written report, including a record of all attendees. The Secretary keeps a copy of the following documents: a current copy of the Bylaws, a copy of current membership (with voting rights), a copy of the Rules of Order (as defined in Bylaws Article II), and membership rosters consisting of names and contact information for Association members, band students, and band alumni. The Secretary maintains a file of all recordings and communications and is responsible for all BRHSBBA correspondence.
Non-Board Member Positions
- Buyer: The Buyer works directly with staff and other BRHSBBA members to order and pay for goods and services (such as paying staff). The Buyer tracks the money flow against the budget, helping the staff with buying decisions, and keeping the staff within spending limits. The Buyer will also track delivery dates on critical purchases.
- Fundraiser Coordinators: Fundraiser Coordinators will be the designated point person for a specific fundraising campaign or event, reporting to the Vice-President of Fundraising.